Generally annual policy are issued but there is an exception like long term two wheeler policy which continues till the fitness of the vehicle is valid according to RTA.
As per Motor vehicle act every Motor vehicle plying on the road has to be insured with a minimum cover of Liability only Risks. The package policy is more comprehensive as it covers own damage of the vehicle with third party liability.
The selected Private car policies can be bought on line using credit, debit cards as well as net banking.
Private Car Insurance Policy covers Vehicles used for social, domestic and for professional purpose (excluding carriage of goods other than the registered owner ) of the insured or used by insured’s employees for such purpose but excluding use for hire or reward, racing, pace making, reliability trial, speed testing and use for any purpose in connection with the Motor Trade.
You may also cover additional cover for Loss of accessories, Legal liability to paid driver, Personal Accident to the occupants as also Increased legal liability to property damage of third party for a limit of Rs 7.5 lakhs
The policy has Provision of No Claims bonus for claims free experience. Discount for opting higher voluntary excess
Discount for approved anti-theft devices installed in the vehicle. Concession for specially designed/modified vehicle for blind, handicapped and mentally challenged persons
There are 2 types of covers available:
Liability Only cover – insures you against any legal liability following an accident involving your vehicle. It does not cover any damage to your vehicle.
The policy covers the following risks only.
- Injury or Death of Third Party
- Property Damage (TPPD upto Rs. 7.5 Lacs)
Package cover – Insures all liabilities, as per the Motor Vehicles Act, as well as damages caused to your vehicle. The package policy is better and also known as Comprehensive Motor Insurance policy as it provides both third party coverage and damages/loss to one’s own vehicle, co-passengers or self.
The policy covers Own Damage to the Insured vehicle caused by:-
- Accident by External Means Fire, Explosion, Self Ignition and Lightning
- Transit by Road, Rail, Inland Waterway, Air, Lift
- Burglary, House breaking or Theft
- Terrorism, Riots, Strikes or Malicious Acts
Earthquake, Flood, Storm, Landslide, Rockslide.
- Consequential loss,wear and tear,mechanical or electrical breakdown, failures or breakages
- Damage to tyres unless the motor vehicle is damaged at the same time when the liability of the insurer is limited to 50% of the cost of replacement ;
- Any accidental loss or damage suffered whilst the insured or any person driving with the knowledge and consent of the insured is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
- Cost of part/s and allied labour , failure of which led any accident.